Started January 2 2013

Thursday 31 January 2013

To tutor or not to tutor? That is the question

The news story of interest today was about private tutors. Should they be allowed? Could and should exams be made tutor proof?

To me, who never had a private tutor, the answer is simple. Yes they should be allowed.

It's like saying Footballers should not be allowed to train. They should just turn up play the game, and go back home and sit with their families, until its time to get up for the next game. And of course this applies not just to other athletes, but doctors, surgeons, and actors.

Imagine actors not being allowed to rehearse. They can read the script of course, but they are not allowed to say anything aloud until they are on stage, or in front of the camera.

What if brain surgeons were given lessons in how to perform certain operations, but were not allowed to practice, because it would give them an advantage over other that had fewer brains to practice on. And an even bigger advantage over people like me, that have never seen or touched a brain.

Do the parents who do not hire private tutors for their children resent those that do? Probably not.

So what does this news item tell us?

It tells us that these officials, often council officials, actually have nothing to do. They are in an over paid 'empty' job. If they did not keep coming out with these crazy statements, someone would eventually realise that they were sat behind a big empty desk in a nice warm office, doing nothing but waiting for the next pay cheque to go into the bank.

I think anyone who has the time to come up with such crazy ideas, should have their job closely scrutinised, and if they do not have enough real work. GET RID OF THEM. Make them redundant and either reduce my taxes or spend the savings on something more worthwhile.


I came from no special privileged background, and i never had a tutor. We lived on a rough council estate and my parents divorced when I was 10. I was usually in the school playground by 8 so that i could play cricket and football with my friends until the bell went at 9.

I loved school meals, and enjoyed the lessons, even though I was no better than average in the early years. My friends an I did all the things kids should and should not do. Suddenly at about 14 everything clicked into place and I soared towards the top of the class in the sciences. I got my 5 GCE's and went on to College to do my A levels.

I did really well in the first year, but in the long summer holiday misfortune struck. I discovered girls and chess.

I spent the whole of the 2 nd year playing as much chess as I could and enjoying girls as much as I could. I passed my A level Chemistry exam but failed the others.

With my one A level, I went to Polytechnic, rather than the University I had hoped for. I had a fantastic time, not only were there more girls there than I had ever seen, I had more freedom to play more chess, I could go away and play weekend tournaments. I also discovered BEER.

I had the best 12 month social life ever, but sadly my academic studies took 4 th place and I failed my end of year exams, and had to get a job.

The chemical company sent me to night school. I got my head together, worked hard, and knocked off my exams one by one, until I had my degree.

During 1979, my company hired some lab space at a local university and sent me to do the work there. The staff got to know me, saw how I worked, and based on that, suggested I would be a good candidate to do a PhD.

Their decision was based on what they saw in me, not my parents, or contacts.

I gave up work and became a student.

The discipline I gained from being in full time employments made life as a research student, easy.

Those that may have had private tutors, and sailed smoothly through O levels, A levels and a degree found the freedom of being a research student far more difficult to cope with.

The combination of my industrial experience plus my qualification made it very easy for me to get a job.

Those that had no industrial experience, found it much more difficult

Because of this I can see how having a private tutor can be a disadvantage in the long run!

So its horses for courses. Oh no that's Tesco, isn't it!






No comments:

Post a Comment