Started January 2 2013

Monday 28 January 2013

A frustrating day

This is my 29 th post, so far it has not been as difficult as expected. But I have had a frustrating start to my day.

My PaperClassroom website is not working and I have no idea why. When I try to access it, I keep getting asked for a user name and password !

I have another website, related to a different small business that I run, and it has exactly the same problem. I am hoping that the hosting company has not gone broke! Have been trying to contact the person that looks after this stuff for me, but his mobile is off too.

As I sit here I am printing off notes for a course beginning on February 11. I need eleven copies, of 240 double sided pages, so it is going to be a long boring day or two.

Yesterdays Blog got a amazing response, attracting 205 page views, one of my highest ever. I wish I knew why? Was it the pictures?, the Church? the historical content? or the fact that it was real local news/history. If I knew why, i could give you more of it.

ANOTHER QUIRKY HISTORICAL FACT

In the early 1800's America ran out of rags for making paper. An entrepreneurial guy by the name of Augustus Stanwood, from Maine, had a bright idea. He set up a big warehouse and started to import mummies from the middle east.  In those days, when they mummified a typical everyday Jo like you and me, they used about 30 lbs of bandages, (14 kg). His workers were employed to unravel the bandages which they would then sell to the local paper mill.

After several outbreaks of Cholera, the government banned the practice.

2 comments:

  1. URGH! THE MUMMIE THING MADE ME CRINGE BUT WHAT AN INTERESTING PIECE OF INFO.. THANKS FOR SHARING IT

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Kelly, glad you found it interesting

    ReplyDelete